Thursday, 30 September 2010

That Is Why

I have taken the inspiration of this article from a fable in the wonderful book “Soul of a Butterfly”, Muhammad Ali by Hana Yasmeen Ali

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Soul-Butterfly-Muhammad-Ali/dp/0553816462/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1285082777&sr=1-2-spell

"Two peasants were travelling down a winding road on their way to see the king. When they approached the gates of the kingdom an army of foot soldiers bullied them and ran them off.

Then one peasant said to the other,
“That is why.”

The next day, the two peasants travelled down the winding road again with hopes to see the king. This time an army of horse soldiers rode up, threw stones at them and ran them off.

Then the peasant said to his friend,
“That is why.”

The two peasants would not give up, so they travelled the winding road again. This time the king’s carriage pulled up, and when the king saw the two peasants standing there in torn clothes, with cuts and bruises all over them, the king got out of his carriage, walked up to the two peasants, put his arm around them, and gave them each a gold coin.

As they walked back down the winding road, one peasant said to the other again,
“That is why.”

When they were both back home sitting in their little huts, the other peasant asked his friend what he meant when he said,
“That is why?”

The first peasant responded,

That is why they are foot soldiers, and that is all they will ever be.
That is why they are horse soldiers, and that is all they will ever be.

And that is why he is the king."

The reason I love this fable is because I think we all experience “That is Why” moments all of the time.
The story offers a very valid and sound justification for why we all lead the lives we lead and why we all have within those lives, that which is fitting for who we are.

I look back at some of my good times and some of my bad times and I then I compare the kind of person I was during those times and I come to one conclusion. “That is Why”
The things I was doing, the company I was surrounded by, my attitude to life, the list goes on, were all the factors that governed what was happening in my life.

I think this fable is a great tool for making us all stop and take a good look at ourselves.
Look within and not without and discover your own “That is Why”

The moment we realise that everything that happens to us is of our own doing and of our own control, is the moment we can make changes and effect different results.
What I love more about this story though, and the main reason for me posting it as this month’s article, is the attitude and the acceptance that the first peasant gains by telling himself and his friend, “That is Why”.

Instead of taking all the abuse personally, the first peasant simply affirms to himself that, this is happening only because that is who these soldiers are. They know nothing else and are not personally to blame. It’s not their fault, it is just how it is. For if they knew better, they would probably not be those foot soldiers in the first place.

Every man has enough power left to carry out that of which he is convinced.
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
This quote is great because what it tells me is, for every single one of us, we can look at Who we are and What we do, and know That is Why we are where we are.



Stay Safe and Have Fun

Al Peasland x

No comments:

Post a Comment