Friday, 16 July 2010

Have Fun

If you’re been around my website for some time, if you’ve read any of my previous articles, or if you’ve listened to any of my interviews or seminars, you’ll know there’s one theme that underlies everything I do and teach.

It has to be fun.

You may notice that I always finish my articles with the same line. And I write it with the utmost sincerity and wish that you all Stay Safe AND Have Fun.

For me, having fun is a huge part of complete self protection and personal security. After all, self defence really does start with the self, so before we consider learning techniques to beat up that “would-be” attacked, we need to start considering making the rest of our lives more rewarding and more fun.

In addition, good self protection is about giving you knowledge and skills that allow you to experience more of life, safely, with an understanding of the risks and balanced security measures you should take. It’s most certainly not about scaring you with all the bad things that can happen out there, so that you simply lock yourself away and never venture out into this wonderful world for fear of the potential risks.

"Self defence should open doors not lock them shut."
Al Peasland


And when you open doors, you start to have more fun.

What has prompted me more in writing this article though, is the constant stream of Reality Based Systems that seem to be totally focused on Aggressive, Angry, Adrenalin fuelled, scenario drills, questioning each and every technique’s ability to “take a guy out” more efficiently than the next.

Don’t get me wrong, I am totally in favour of having reality in your training, in fact, it’s my background in this type of training, and experiences on the door that I think allows me to offer skills and coaching in this world.
However, I think there is a real need for some balance with all of this training and also a “reality check” for some reality based systems.
After all, how much time and effort do you really need to focus on an event that may never happen.

What a lot more of those students will find is every day they will be doing jobs they don’t like, living lives that don’t fulfill them or make them happy, and doing lots of things which aren’t fun.

Personally, I’d rather focus on the fun bit and enhance the vast portion of my life that doesn’t involve being attacked on the street or getting into fisticuffs. Start working your pre-emptive strike and fence drills on the sticks and stones that life throws at you rather than just the fight outside the chip-shop that you could have probably avoided anyway.

And this brings me nicely to my point of having fun.

I say this in every seminar – Make It Fun.
The day I am not having fun, having a laugh or getting enjoyment from being on the mat, is the day I find something else to do.

The youtube clip I have linked here shows my case in point.





The escalator at a subway station is a far more appealing way of climbing up to street level than having to walk up those leg aching stairs.
But once you make it a fun activity, suddenly everyone is exercising without even realizing it, and not only that, having a lot of fun in the process.

This is something that is echoed by many many pioneers, sports men and women, business men and women.

"I never did a day's work in my life. It was all fun."
Thomas A. Edison

"People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing."
Dale Carnegie


"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Tupac Shakur

If your training feels like a chore, then you need to take the advice of Thomas Edison. Make it fun and it will no longer seem like hard work.
Anything you want to do – find ways to put a fun element into it, and you’ll find you’ll be able to do it for longer and get more success along the way.

And on that note, I’ll leave you with my usual and heartfelt tagline

Stay Safe and Have Fun

Al x

1 comment: