Thursday, 3 June 2010

What Are You Thinking?

Some recent events have prompted me to start this weeks’ article with a favourite poem of mine

State of Mind Poem

If you think you are beaten, you are;
If you think you dare not, you won’t;
If you like to win, but don’t think you can,
It’s almost a cinch you won’t.

If you think you’ll lose, you’re lost;
For out in the world you’ll find
Success begins with a fellow’s will
It’s all in a state of mind.

For many a game is lost
Ere even a play is run,
And many a coward fails
Ere even his work is begun.

Think big and your deeds will grow,
Think small and you’ll fall behind;
Think that you can and you will;
It’s all in a state of mind.

If you think you are out classed, you are;
You’ve got to think high to rise;
You’ve got to be sure of your self before
You can ever win a prize.

Life’s battles don’t always go
To the stronger or faster man,
But sooner or later, the man who wins
Is the fellow who thinks he can.

anon

The biggest message from this poem is the fact that in order to achieve you first have to believe. (Thanks to Darren Checkley for this perfect phrase that is the basis for his own Personal Trainer business)Your mindset is probably the most important thing to get right first if you are to embark on any journey or any event that you wish to have a successful outcome.


If you don’t believe me, then let me give you a little description of a week I’ve just had to help illustrate this point.

It started with an event, that I won’t go into, but one which basically left me feeling very down, very upset and very angry. That’s as much as I will say about the matter, but quite simply, I was left with a week of sleepless nights while I ran thoughts and conversations around and around in my head, as I often do when in times of turmoil.

So, lets just say I was in a “not so positive” place when I embarked on my week-long journey of replacing a bathroom in one of my rental properties for a wonderful tenant who has been with me for many years and really did need a nice shiney new bathroom.

It started ok – the destruction of ripping out the old suite and smashing tiles off the walls was quite therapeutic. Sadly, however, even this day of bashing and physical exertion in this room, with only my self for company, was not enough to release all of the frustrations I was immersed in.

So when it came to the more delicate tasks of fitting the new suite, and all of the jobs I normally enjoy doing, it started to go a little downhill.Not to blow my own trumpet but I am actually quite a good DIYer, having done a fair bit of property development, so ordinarily, replacing a bathroom in the space of a week, with some extra help from my equally talented father, should not have been a problem. But immediately, things started to go wrong.

Without boring you further, a brief list of some of the hurdles I encountered included, fitting the bath only to have to remove it to fix a leaking pipe, several visits to a well known store to collect more fittings to complete the installation, re-siting the toilet as it didn’t fit, switching sinks due to incorrect sizes, fixing leaks, unblocking pipes, tiling the floor and then re-tiling it to fix broken tiles.And so the list goes on.

Most of these issues, as they arose were followed with many expletives and a few “why me’s”.It seemed nothing would go right with this job. Every task was a chore, made harder by one problem or another, set back on top of set back.

It most certainly was a stressful week and I was left pretty much wrecked by, not the physical exertion but the mental pressures I had struggled with all week.I complained that it was as if the bathroom was fighting me, which logically is a ridiculous thing to suggest.Lou hit the nail on the head when she said that, most of these problems were because I was in a bad place and nothing to do with the bathroom itself. Of course, she was totally right.

My negative mindset was the catalyst for the problems and acted like a magnet for DIY disasters, made worse my the frustrations that ensued after each additional set back.

So, if you want something to prove that thinking positive is a pre-requisite for having positive things happen, then look no further than my week of negativity to see just how many negative things happened when my mind was in the wrong frame.

The universe craves balance and so if my week of negative thinking gave way to negative results, then it is safe to assume that positive thinking will bring about positive results.
So I ask you to spare a moment to as yourself – “What are you thinking?”I’m now through it, over it and past it. The bathroom looks great, the tenant is extremely happy, and my following week was full of great training, great times with great friends and several pieces of great news that have given me renewed positivity again – just in case you were at all worried - ha ha
I would like to leave you with a little quote of my own based on my past two weeks of very opposite states of mind and paralleled results

Choose your thoughts wisely, for;
Whatever you Dream of you give power, and;
Whatever you fear you will also give power, and;
Whatever you give power to will be attracted to you

Gandhi said it far more eloquently

Keep your thoughts positive,
because your thoughts become your words.
Keep your words positive,
because your words become your behaviours.
Keep your behaviours positive,
because your behaviours become your habits.
Keep your habits positive,
because your habits become your values.
Keep your values positive,
because your values become your destiny.

And remember
“sooner or later, the man who wins
Is the man who THINKS he can.”

So, do your best to stay positive folks, you’ll be amazed what can happen when you do.

Stay Safe and Have Fun

Al x

No comments:

Post a Comment